The developmental years of a child pose many distinct challenges to the musculoskeletal and neurological system, requiring a specialised approach to care. Paediatric Physiotherapy is the application of this specialised care, unique to the growth and development needs of each individual child.
Claire Dowling has a strong interest in the area of paediatrics and has brought to the clinic a wealth of knowledge from her work through Ireland.
We believe in making early intervention with physiotherapy a positive experience for both the child and the parent. To do this, Claire focuses on building strength, balance and co-ordination skills, utilising toys, games and other special equipment in order to treat problems or manage ongoing issues.
Claire has experience treating children as young as just 10 days, helping with the management of complex neurological, orthopaedic and respiratory conditions.
There are many concerns that can be addressed with a paediatric physiotherapist:
- Your baby has a flat spot on his/her head
- Prefers to look to one side, or has a stiff neck
- Was born prematurely
- There is a delay in achieving developmental milestones
- Not happy on tummy by 4months
- Not sitting independently by 9 months
- Not wanting/trying to stand by 12 months
- Not walking by 18 months
- Toe walking
- Curvature of the spine (scoliosis)
- Postural differences
- Clumsiness, difficulty with jumping, running and hopping or ball skills
- Help with recovery after injury or surgery
- Musculoskeletal problems like Osgood Schlatters or Severs Disease
- Specific diagnoses such as cerebral palsy, Genetic Syndromes
If you have noticed any of these conditions in your child, book an appointment with Claire for a thorough assessment and a discussion on possible treatment options.
Claire is also both an approved service panel provider for the government-funded Better Start Program and is also a prescriber for the Statewide Equipment Program (SWEP).